Simon,

I would consider giving up after one day as bad management...either in
preparation or in execution of the migration. On top of that, costs for M$
products are normally quite low at universities due to academic rebates.  So
the reward to switch to OO/LO is lower.

The best strategy how OO/LO could help in reduction of migration and
acceptance problems is probably compatibility, compatibility, compatibility.
Even if compatibility means being compatibility to something stupid. Once
OO/LO has reached say 30% market share, trials to be better than M$ products
at lower compatibility might be started, but not earlier. Waiting until that
share is reached is not in the nature of the typical volunteer contributing
to OO, I am afraid.

But my problem is different. I am stuck even before migration because of the
anticipated efficiency loss, not because I am afraid of acceptance or
migration problems.

ms777

Simon Johnson-Bégin wrote:

Hello,
... we once agreed, last december, that it was time to implement
Openoffice in the law library's computers.  I tough that this was a great
choice and a good step forwarded for the open community.
The next day after the implementation, lot of students complained about
Openoffice, saying that it was not the same as what they were accustomed
in the bast.  i'm sure that they did not tried it that much.  I did not
agreed with them, butt he directors decided the next day to go back to Ms
Office.  ...
Simon