For example, in LibreOffice 3.4.3 Impress, create a dashed line and save it
in MS PowerPoint 97 format.  Close then reopen it.  When I did that just now
under Windows 7 x64, the line style was lost and it displayed solid.

just checked it in both LO 3.3.4 and 3.4.3.'97 format (ie,ppt) showing the
dashed line as dashed line when opened in LO.when the file is saved into
.pptx,the dashed line is getting converted into a solid one.
so,for me,'97 format is working properly.
anybody else having difficulty with '97 format????????
regards,