On 09/10/2011 04:08 PM, Anthony Papillion wrote:
I agree, but is not supporting saving in secret formats really isolating them from the rest of the
world? Especially if the other software can read the open format, wouldn't it be preferable to just
tell them 'don't worry about it, you're compatible' and leave it at that? Besides, I'd think that
creating a plugin that helps Microsoft Offices users read .odf files is a lot easier than
constantly playing catchup with the secret Microsoft formats.
When you have a deliverable in a MSO format, then you must deliver in an MSO format. This is often not negotiable.

If I spend you a document and then tell you "yeah, now here is a list of steps to download and install a plug-in that I sure hope works on your version of MSO and operating system", well, you just the non-technical people.

I know people that still use Word Perfect, so then we would need an ODF reader for them as well.

Even well established products have issues when they do not support legacy formats. As an example, look at Apple when they released their latest video editing software and did not support previous file formats.

MSO even had issues when there was no support for the DOCX format between other versions.

The only company that I have seen successfully do this is Photo Shop. I understand that if you have photo shop deliverables, then you really need to use exactly the same version as that used by the client. Pretty much everyone else that does this seems to have problems in the market.

--
Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php