To be honest, MSO is not going to go away. So the question would be if you want LO to be able to be used in the modern office environment? I remember when OOo did not read .doc files. No one wanted to use it [among my group of people] if it could not read/write MSO files. When OOo was able to read MSO files, then people were willing to try it.

So now with the modern office, the ability to read/write any files your people are using with MSO with your open source office package gives that package an edge. I use LO by default, since MSO does not work on Ubuntu. Also, the newest version of MSO I have used/owned was 2003. The next thing is that I never really thought that MSO's "x" formats were something they really needed. I tell people not to use those formats that came out with MSO 2007.

Now that LO reads and writes most of the MSO file formats, people can use it instead of MSO in their offices and still will be able to deal with these type of files from their workers and the people who send them these office files.

IF LO, OOo, or any other FOSS office package, did not read/write MSO formats, then people would never want to use it in the office or at home if they ever would need to read/write these formats.

SO FOSS office packages must read/write MSO files. Without it, the market for LO [and OOo] would go down to almost ZERO.