Let's say everything has a price, wheight, volume or something:
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/download/file.php?id=8641
[ingredients and nutrition values copied from a Swedish spreadsheet,
composed meals from ingredients, calculating values for each meal in
another subform.

I see etiquette rules here counsel against "thanks," but in a thread like
this it seems valuable to the discussion. Which is to say, this example,
these tips, helped me achieve what I was trying to do and more. It is
worthwhile to the newbie to open these odb files to see how
forms/queries/tables are structured. I was able to figure out a query that
now represents subtotal by record on my entry form - super helpful. So Thank
you.

If you can derive some plain text table from the PDF (csv from
conversion program or paste into spreadsheet) it _may_ be possible to
query the items right from a plain text file and compare them with
database tables.

Would that I could figure this out. Some of the PDF's I'm parsing through
are 1500+ pages long - ouch. Luckily, search eases the pain.