Hi :)
The java version _23, as in
jre-6u23-windows-i586-s.exe
seems to be quite slow but i don't know where to get the fastest java from,
their
jre-6u21-windows-i586-s.exe
seems to be the fastest and most reliable.  Java is being developed by Oracle
which might be worth thinking about.  Any java from _24 onwards seems to cause
considerable problems, hence the disclaimer in the Release notes for 3.4.3.
Regards from
Tom :)