On 08/06/2011 09:44 PM, Bob Stia wrote:
On Saturday 06 August 2011 19:55:50 NoOp wrote:
On 08/06/2011 02:40 PM, Bob Stia wrote:
On Friday 05 August 2011 00:37:47 Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

......<lots of snipping so we can focus>..........

Dennis. sooooo, following your advice:
One thing you can do with the file that fails is try to open it with a
Zip utility and run a test on it.  If the Zip tests all right, it means
the corruption occurred during encryption, not later, during writing.
If the Zip indicates any part of the document is corrupted, you might
see if a Zip repair utility can help.

OK, I opened the file as a zip. Here is what I got:

Archive:  Experience.zip
 extracting: mimetype
 extracting: content.xml
 extracting: layout-cache
 extracting: manifest.rdf
 extracting: styles.xml
 extracting: meta.xml
 extracting: Configurations2/accelerator/current.xml
   creating: Configurations2/progressbar/
   creating: Configurations2/floater/
   creating: Configurations2/popupmenu/
   creating: Configurations2/toolpanel/
   creating: Configurations2/menubar/
   creating: Configurations2/toolbar/
   creating: Configurations2/images/Bitmaps/
   creating: Configurations2/statusbar/
 extracting: settings.xml
  inflating: META-INF/manifest.xml

Did you look at the links that I provided to you? Make a copy of the
file & then try doing the edits with a hexeditor (Gvim or similar).
If you don't know how to do that, send me a copy of the file & I'll do
it for you.

Hello NoOp, thanks for the reply

Yes, I went to those URLs and read them over several times. I had difficulty
unerstanding what was beng done and wasn't sure if the circumstaances were
the same as mine. I guess I need to analyze them carefully.

My file is an .odt (simply  text) There are no Samba, no server etc. I don't
understand when it is said a "double manfest" I have a. manifest.rdf alone
and a manifest.xml inside the folder  META-INF.  I couldn't figure out which
file to open in the hex-editor or what to delete. I need a little gidcance
here.

Unfortunately I cannot send you the file as I explained to Dennis. It contains
very sensetive information.   I do appreciate the offer though, as I do
Dennis'es.

Once that editing is done, how is it incorporated back into the original .odt
file?  Please have patience with me on this. You are correct, as you stated
to Dennis. what do I have to lose? Try what might work. I hope that you hav
the answer/fix for this.

Thanks again. Bob S

Send a copy of the manifest.xml to Dennis and me; that way we can
compare against an uncorrupted password protected document to see if
there is anything obvious in the manifest.xml. That way you won't need
to send the entire file. If there if nothing obvious, then I can ask on
the dev list to see if there is something they can recommend.

Gary