On 08/06/2011 06:25 AM, planas wrote:
On Fri, 2011-08-05 at 20:53 +0000, toki wrote:

On 08/05/2011 05:57 PM, upscope wrote:

our government is looking for big budget cuts. One would be replace  all the MS stuff with open
source software.

If the united states government, or the government of the united kingdom
ruled today that effective 1 January 2012, only FLOSS may be used by the
government, and closed source, proprietary software was banned, the
budget savings would, at the earliest, be visible in 2016, and probably
not until 2020, or even 2025. This is simply due to the unbreakable
contracts various software vendors have with those governments.
Contracts that requires the vendors to be paid, regardless of whether or
not the product meets the contract specifications, assuming it is
delivered in the first place.

Long term, FLOSS saves money. Short term, it doesn't save money, and can
be described as costing money.

jonathon
--
If Bing copied Google, there wouldn't be anything new worth requesting.

If Bing did not copy Google, there wouldn't be anything relevant worth
requesting.

                               DaveJakeman 20110207 Groklaw.

Actually changing to another application/OS, etc will require a learning
curve at the beginning. The advantage that FOSS has is the primary cost
to using is the learning curve in most cases. I think often the actual
costs of switching forget if I switched from LO to KOffice I have a
learning curve, I do not know KOffice so I need to learn its quirks to
become proficient. If a purchase is involved it just adds to the cost.

Both the above responses are, of course, correct in pointing out that switching to open software would entail costs. But nobody has suggested junking all the Windows seats in the US Government and switching to FOSS. It would be rational to install FOSS in newly established offices instead of Windows, and let the phenomenon expand naturally, while getting MS on its toes, with a visible competitor. In any case, making the White House a subsidiary of Microsoft doesn't seem to do any good at all.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on