This obviously really caught the general interest... Not.

I've looked a little further, and it seems to be a fixed limit, 9.99
cm maximum space for footnotes, despite the default option when
suggests most of the page could be available.

I tried changing the display units to inches, in case the spinner in
the "footnote space" dialogue was just limited to one digit before
the decimal place and two after it, but no, when the inch is the unit
of display the maximum space that can be set for footnotes is three
point something, which looks suspiciously like 9.99 centimetres.

This isn't very good.  I don't mind it not suppling what I want, it
is after all a little unusual (I'm trying to mimic the layout of the
nineteenth century book that the text comes from), but LO suggests
that it will do what I want while clear refusing to do it. :-(

Mark Stanton
One small step for mankind...