Hi :)
I think i would approach this by using a database program rather than importing
into a spreadsheet program.  A database program such as Base should be able to
read the text-files directly.  Queries, Forms and Reports can be set-up to do
the required calculations.
Interesting idea, and I'm open to change as long as it gives accurate
results I'm open to it.

Setting it up would not be trivial!  It could be quite tricky especially if you
have never used a database program before.  I would guess that it was not
trivial to set it up for Excel either.
It wasn't, I'm an IT guy by trade so am familiar with several DB
products.

Could you send me attachments off-list so i could have a copy of an original
text-file, the blank you import the text into and an example of a completed
sheet?  I might have enough time to have a quick poke around and perhaps show to
some databasing experts over the next couple of weeks.
Look for them shortly along with the Excel sheet as well.

Until you can get Calc or Base or something to do the task you will need to keep
going back to Windows and MS Office.  Migrating away from systems you have spent
years becoming familiar with often means returning for odd 1 or 2 tasks until
you are ready.  There is no harm in running both systems alongside each other
until you are ready to move over completely.
That's what I'm doing now, no hurry here, I'm just finally getting
time to work on moving off 2007 because I don't want to pay huge $$ to
go to 2010 for a few items I use it for.

Good luck and regards from
Tom :)
Thanks, I'm sure we'll be emailing quite a bit.

Files to Follow.

George