On 7/22/2011 8:26 PM, planas wrote:
Sorry about the problem. One idea I have is make copy of the file and
change the extension to txt. My idea is that the formatting data would
then be ignored when you open the copy. If it works you may get some
formatting gibberish included with the text.

-- Jay Lozier
odt files are zip archives. Changing the extension to txt is almost
guaranteed to get you nowhere. If you make a copy and change the
extension to .zip, and if you succeed in unzipping it, you will find
interesting things in there.

The file Content.xml contains your text with xml stuff, but if you work
at it you may be able to extract your data. There may be extractor
programs that will do this for you.

The downside in all this is that if the odt file is damaged, the zip
archiver may not be able to open it.

David Teague

Thaks David / Jay,
Indeed the .txt file test yields no help, just gibberish with no
intellegible text.
.zip extenstion shows nothing but a blank when I try to open that with  Ark.
Content.xml file? ... isn't this "windows" related?  I did a search on the
file and there don't appear to be any file called that on the system.

I do appreciate the effort at help though...