<!--
body{font-family:'Arial';font-size:11pt;font-color:'#000000';}
LI{display:list-item;margin:0.00in;}
p{display:block;margin:0.00in;}
body{}
-->Tom,
When it was originally installed all that was correct in theWriting Aids window. All the
dictionaries that come with the program were in the top Window, and I had "English USA" selected,
Check spelling as you type was ticked, and the ABC thing had been done. I check this every time I
do a new install because I had a problem with it after one install, several times ago.
Like I said, everything was working just fine - it was "spell checking" as I typed, etc. Then after
a while, it seemed like I had done quite a bit of writing without any red squiggly lines appearing,
so I went to check everything in "Writing Aids" and there isn't ANYTHING there. NOTHING in the top
box I can even choose from. I went through the install process to Add Components (or whatever that
option says) and everything is back again. I really don't understand how a part of a program can
just disappear like that???
Roxy

Hi :)
I don't understand why there is such problem with installing LO on your system.
I don't think that many other people are having the same problem but it sounds
like a nightmare and needs to be sorted out somehow.Perhaps post a bug-report
about it?
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/BugReport
As Planas and Stephan said in the other thread the spell-check default is a bit
strange.You need to do
Tools - Options - "Language Settings" - "Writing Aids"
Top box needs to have some dictionaries and in the bottom box tick the top
option "Check spelling as you type" and also make sure the toolbar button is
pressed, the ABC with a red-wriggle under it.
I'm fairly certain all these things were already done by default in my install
of LibreOffice 3.3.2 in Ubuntu 10.04 (from the PPAs) so it's a bit weird that it
doesn't seem to be the default in Windows at the moment.
The spell-checker issue is a classic problem with a modular systems.The
advantage is that components can be swapped for other versions, eg take out the
English(US) and replace with French, or added or taken out completely.So, each
of us end-up with a tailored yet streamlined product.
The problem is that choosing "the default" is tricky.Each of us have different
ideas about which "is obviously the right way".NOT having a dictionary
installed and spell-checker on by default seems a stupid gaff to me and you but
a lot of people have learned to mis-trust the spell-checkers in Word and
emailing programs because they keep switching language back to US.If people
are on a Win2000 or netbook machine with tiny hard-drive space then they
probably want as little as possible.One persons "bloat" is another persons
"vitally crucial functionality".
Regards from
Tom :)