On 2011-05-31 11:20 AM, Lindsay Graham wrote:
I get so sick of being forced to page down to see the latest text that,
unless it is a subject in which I am particularly interested, I will
often delete the message unread if the latest contribution is not
visible on the first screen page.

As do I... if someone is incapable of properly using their mail client,
I'm probably not interested in anything they have to say, especially for
computer related lists...

That said, I do allow a lot more leeway on non-technical lists...

Ah, but neither of us would *ever *need to page down to see the current post if we both top-posted.

You cannot claim, in a general context, that there is there is a *proper* way of using one's mail client. The way in which it is used will depend on the particular environment and the guidelines, if any, that have been developed for use in that environment. It is only in some, generally technical, newsgroups that bottom posting is specified as preferred (which is different from *proper*). In most mailing lists (and I access libreoffice-users through a mailing list, not a newsgroup) and almost *all *commercial correspondence, top-posting is used. Why? Because, it is the most suitable in those environments. On the other hand, I agree that bottom-posting is suitable in a well-disciplined technical newsgroup -- but how many are well-disciplined (ie, follow newsgroup netiquette)? Not many.

Lindsay Graham