Hi :)
My understanding is ...

That TDF does keep a list of bugs to be fixed and wish-list items.  Triagers go
through and assign various values such as "easy" (or difficult), "critical" (or
"Low importance").

Anyone can go through the list and pick something to work on.  Sometimes that
'anyone' is a business with paid developers, sometimes it might be an individual
that just loves the product and cares deeply about improving it or is interested
in clever or practical or elegant coding.  Sometimes it might be a person
learning coding under a mentor.  The anyone's (or their employees/contractors)
can usually expect some help and support from other devs if they want it,
especially if they intend to give the code to TDF.

Having written the code they can then choose to keep it secret and just try to
apply it to each new release (or new install) OR they can choose to give the
code to TDF so that it can go through quality control, alpha-testing,
beta-testing before being incorporated into the main product which all us users
can alpha & beta test if we choose.  Typically this ends up covering a hugely
diverse range of real-world hardware in combinations that would have most
sensible lab-techs shuddering.

The advantage to business 'anyones' of giving the new code fixes to TDF is that
future releases of LO will already contain the fixes and they will have already
undergone testing against the new release.  So the anyones don't have to
re-apply their coding and then just hope it still works or go through their own
quality testing against a limited number of machines.

During this whole process the list of bugs and wish-list items gets updated
tags.

As normal users we can choose whether to use the older stable releases such as
3.3.0 - 3.3.2 (at the moment) or go for development releases to help bug-test
the latest fixes and developments.

My understanding of Fedora is that it is the development/testing branch of
RedHat and that other projects keep an eye on what happens with Fedora in order
to see what programs and stuff might be worth exploring for themselves.  Debian
has a testing and a development branch that are available separately from their
stable release.  SliTaz has a "Cooking" and a "Stable" release.  Most projects
seem to have an edition that is not quite considered stable yet but hopefully
will become the new stable version later.  I happen to like the way Ubuntu
backports fixes to it's latest LTS release in a manner suggested by Kracked
Press.  If LO had a sort-of LTS release in a similar way then it might help
business users too.

Regards from
Tom :)