If you need Windows then try Wine first.  The Wine forums describe how to get MS
Office working in Wine although i am not certain that they include the latest
(2010) release.  If you are on linux then there is also "Play on linux" that
gives Wine a prettier front-end and some tweaks.  I would try Wine first
though.

Then there are options such as Virtual Machines such as Oracle's VirtualBox.
Oracle seem to have worked reasonably hard to break OpenOffice (or was that just
incompetence) but they do seem to care about VirtualBox and seem to have made
some effort there.  Of course there are proprietary components that you might
need to pay for, such as getting usb devices working.  There are other VM's
although i don't know of any other OpenSource ones.  Note that if you install
Windows into a VM it is much easier to deal with malware and other issues.  Also
you can  re-use the same product-key, license, that has been used on the machine
before since it is "just a reinstall to the same machine", well, to the same
hardware.  I have done this a couple of times with Xp quite a long time ago but
had to phone MS 'Support' to make sure it got activated correctly.  I like VMs
for short-term usage but i've never had enough ram to make it a viable long-term
solution, nor the skills and knowledge.

There is also Xen and such to run a couple of OSes alongside each other at the
same time.  I have no idea how/if this works.

Dual-boot is my preferred method because then i don't have to touch Windows at
all apart from the initial back-up (via linux) and the partition resizing (also
in linux, using gparted usually = err unless the Windows is Vista).  With some
very old releases of gparted i had a few problems and needed the back-ups but in
the last couple of years it's been really good.

Windows is painful to install.  It can be ok for gamers that only want 1 or 2
games to work but most people seem to need tons of proprietary programs and the
updates need multiple reboots and further updates and reboots.  Then you'll
probably need to tweak tons of default settings.  With linux you tend to only
need to update the once and might not even need to reboot.  The linux updates
include updates for all the programs many decent ones are included in the
initial install too.  It can be a bit tricky to sort the tweaks and stuff for
your and your machine's individual needs but it's a breeze compared to a Windows
install.

My normal work-around nowadays for seeing how things look in Windows is to email
it to my boss and ask him what he thinks.  Or i sneakily save it on the network
and access it from another machine using a login i shouldn't know.

There are always options but using Windows feels so unpleasant & slow now that i
avoid it if at all possible.

Regards from
Tom :)