The purpose of my post was to suggest SkyDrive as an economical approach for non-Office/-Windows
users who have an MS Office document they need to deal with and they need to be able to describe
their problem to those on this and other lists.  (It is also a way to get around the inability to
have attachments on posts to this list.)  You can also put ODF documents, text documents, screen
captures, etc., on SkyDrive, although they can't be edited through the browser.  You can also limit
permissions on who can see the material and what they can do with it.

I would think SkyDrive is easier to try first before going into more elaborate ways of running MS
Office on non-Windows/non-Mac platforms (or purchasing it for a Windows platform that may be
underpowered or even unsupported for the version you'd need).  It also seems to provide a very
reliable MS Office presentation, and provides warnings when the presentation is limited in some way.

For my forensic work and running of beta releases, I use the Virtual Machine approach myself,
although my host system is a hot Windows 7 machine for this kind of work.  There are many
alternative variations, as Tom indicates.

The one line in my post about viewers seems to have derailed folks from my main point: Windows Live
SkyDrive does not require Windows nor does it require MS Office and it provides in-browser viewing
of MS Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint (and OneNote).  You can edit also, but not with full
functionality, so it might not be possible to contrive problematic documents there.  Using SkyDrive
you can at least see the Office documents that are problematic for you in LibreOffice and show
other users what the problem is with regard to importing or exporting.

 - Dennis