On 13/05/11 2:23 AM, webmaster for Kracked Press Productions wrote:
On 05/12/2011 08:55 AM, John Shabanowitz wrote:
As I understand Chrome OS, it is totally web based. There are no installable programs. It works totally off of Google products. I think you would need a browser based version of LibO from an app server. However, Google docs does
save to Open Document Formats by default.

Since they call it "Linux", I assume you would be able to install your own applications and packages on that laptop or desktop.

There seems to be a movement to make Google's Linux Chromebook a type of OS that can be used instead of Windows or "normal" Linux distros, or at least that is what I think they are planning.

So if Google is planning to have a "Windows Killer" OS in a desktop or laptop computer, you must be able to add your own package for things that Google has not bought yet: GIMP, Firefox, Thunderbird, LibreOffice, Inkscape, K3b, VLC, Jablum, Filezilla, XSane, DeVeDe, printers, plus all the other packages and devices I use almost daily.

Google must be able to have you install these types of packages and devices, or it will not be able to function as a complete laptop or desktop computer.

As I understand it this is the enterprise version. I believe it can't print to a wired printer but has some very useful enterprise management tools for the administrators. I also read it has no spinning drive (just some SSD) good battery and fast boot. The desktop is the browser and apps run in a tab (each tab has its own session). Last I read there was uncertainty as to how offline support for google docs would be achieved.
http://www.news.com.au/technology/acer-and-samsung-make-first-google-chromebooks/story-e6frfro0-1226054518158
We will have to wait and see if there is an opening for LO.
steve

*John Shabanowitz
http://libodocs.wordpress.com
We're recruiting, come join us.*
On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 8:39 AM, webmaster for Kracked Press Productions<