2011/5/2 Simon Cropper <scropper@botanicusaustralia.com.au>:
On 03/05/11 11:14, Cliff Scott wrote:

** Reply to message from "Daniel A. Rodriguez"
<daniel.armando.rodriguez@gmail.com>  on Mon, 2 May 2011 15:05:40 -0300

I have been watching this thread and have to ask the obvious question.
Are
the pictures sized to the desired size before inserting into the
document? If
not try that. I have found that can make a huge difference. I know many
people keep pictures in very high resolutions which is fine, but if you
just
put a large picture into the document and resize it there it still takes
up
the full  storage size of the original so thus makes very large
documents
which translate into large PDFs.

Hi

almost all of them are screenshots, but not full screen images just a
menu or a bar for instance

Likely they are not too large, but have you looked at their actual sizes
verify their size?

Hi All,

I have also been watching this thread with interest.

For comparison, after much testing and manipulation I have been able to get
quite respectable PDF files which illustrate ~40 high resulotion screen
images.

The PNG files, which show various tasks, range from 5KB upto 189.6 KB.

Together they total 2.9 KB.

These images were created using Shutter using default settings.

Merged with a  relatively small HTML file of 43KB, they merge to a 2MB PDF
(note the PNG are converted to JPG).

This process is done outside LO but illustrates that image rich files can be
created that can be presented in relatively small PDF.

Another example, using LO...

6.8 MB ODT file with detailed high resolution maps could be compressed to a
2.6MB PDF file. I could of made the resulting PDF smaller by sacrificing map
quality but decided that this was a good balance between size and image
clarity.

On a side note - experimentation has shown that tables can cause file bloat
more than some image types. Experiment with empty files to see what gets the
best result.

When creating technical reports I always insert an image twice as large as
the size they will be presented in the report and allow 60% compression when
creating the PDF. This seems to be a good combination.

Nice tips Simon

thanks

Escuelas Libres :: Porque la educación es mucho mejor cuando es libre
www.escuelaslibres.org.ar
---
Para entrenar, cualquier programa sirve. Para educar, sólo Software
Libre. (Federico Heinz)
---