I am replying to this once only on list. The atmosphere in a mailing list is set by the people in agreeing to abide by conventions of courtesy. One disagreeable poster cant taint the atmosphere for everyone else.

Email lacks all the signals of body language. So it is even more important to avoid emotion in words.

It is not an excuse to say that English is not the writer's first language. All languages have common words for 'stupid', 'illiterate', 'dumb', etc. Using these words transfers emotion in all languages.