On 2/7/2011 4:54 PM, Tom Davies wrote:
Hi :)

Yes, LibreOffice can open any and all documents created in OpenOffice.  There
are no problems there afaik.  The problem with ".doc" files (or ".docx") is NOT
between OpenOffice and LibreOffice.  Such files saved by either LO or OOo and
then opened in the other look the same. (except that LO can add ".svg" pictures
which OOo can't handle yet).

Frequently, documents saved by any version of MS Word and then opened with any
other version of Word or any other program do have  problems with layout.
Usually it is just pictures but sometimes other objects that have not been
formatted "inline" (whatever that means) have wandered off-course slightly but
can be dragged back into place.

On different machine's word-processors tend to re-organise layouts a little to
take into account the printer settings on that machine.  This makes it even more
important to format pictures and objects inline rather than 'floating' or
'skating' around over the top of text (at least that is the way i understand
'inline' at the moment).

There appears to be 5 ways around the layout problems.
1. Use
File - "Export to pdf"
because pdf retains exactly the layout regardless of printer settings or
anything.  Perhaps send the ".doc" along with the ".pdf" (which i re-save as a
".gif" as it can be much lighter-weight).  People can see the layout of the pdf
and then edit the ".doc".  Annoyingly, pdf is difficult for most people to edit
but at least the layout is unchanged.

2. Make sure pictures and objects are formatted inline when you edit/create a
document.

3. Drag the pictures and objects back into the right places.

4. Give everyone links to download LibreOffice (or OpenOffice but preferably
LibreO) whenever you send out documents.

5  Use the ".odt" format instead.  Most MS Office users can read/write/edit
these now.  Only MS Office 2003 and earlier can't and most users of those older
products might appreciate upgrading to LibreO anyway.

I wouldn't recommend this. MS-ODF differs in a number of ways from everybody else's ODF, and spreadsheets in particular get really mangled. The problems are not as apparent with text documents, but....

Some people are managing to use both OpenOffice and LibreOffic on one machine
but it generally seems to cause problems.  I gather that these problems are
being worked on.  I would recommend only having 1 or the other at any one time
as there are unlikely to be any differences between documents produced by either
except that LibreO has a bit more functionality and a more aggressive update
schedule.

Regards from
Tom :)