On 1/31/2011 7:57 AM, Sigrid Carrera wrote:
Hi James, Barbara, *,

2011/1/30 James Wilde<wilde.james@gmail.com>:
On Jan 30, 2011, at 21:47 , Barbara Duprey wrote:

On 1/30/2011 6:35 AM, James Wilde wrote:
Sorry, no, Phil.  No-one can unsubscribe you.  Here's a suggestion:

believe you are subescribed under, which naturally enough is the one which receives the emails.
There is normally only a few seconds' delay between sending your message and getting the reply to
act on.  If you don't get one, check an incoming email and see if the address is the one you
thought.  You might have another email address which you forward to your main address.

The address to send your mail to is at the bottom of this mail.  Clicking or right-clicking on that
should open an email message to send.
the differences for people who subscribed to the digest -- or used -nomail, in which case I have no
idea why they'd bother to unsubscribe). Whoever is trying to unsubscribe will probably get there in
the end, though. But if they don't know the subscribed address, they'll need to look at the
Return-Path header and pick out the indirect form (using equals instead of at) of the subscribed
address, and unsubscribe that.
Yes, the footer says clearly:

So you send a message, to get the unsubscribe instructions. As you
said, there's a difference in the mailto-address for the "regular
mail" and the "digest" version of the mailing list.

The "no-mail" option exists for those people who follow the lists
through a news gateway like gmane. You need to be subscribed, to send
messages, but you'll get the replies through your newsreader. So
there's no need to send you the mails extra.

What I meant was that there's info in the help about how to unsubscribe a no-mail address, and I really don't know why anybody would bother! Do you know why the subscription is necessary for Gmane (etc.) when it isn't for the OOo lists? Apparently there are some significant differences relative to ezmlm handling. The main problem I see is that the moderators are the only ones who know that a user is not subscribed, so they have to give instructions about how to follow the thread. The tricky part is that they can't supply specific links (those don't yet exist at the point of moderation), and the user needs to be able to reply as well as view, to supply additional info, for example. So they have to get search instructions, and how to subscribe no-mail.

Question to moderator/owner -- the help doesn't describe anything that uses the indirect form in
the case of a subscribed address that is no longer directly accessible. Does that capability exist?
How does it work, if so?
As to your question, I don't know the answer, and we'll have to wait for the owner.  I'm just a
moderator.

I don't know, if this possibility exists for the lists at
libreoffice.org. I am a moderator too, but I haven't come across
anything like it. I might ask on the moderators list, if this is
possible - if James isn't faster. :)

Sigrid

There are hints in the Return-Path header that the indirect address (with an equals instead of an at) can be used here, too, but the use of parameters (with minus signs) complicates it. I would guess that the indirect address would be attached to the command part after a hyphen (or plus?), with the parameters following after a space, but I'm not sure. On the OOo lists, I always recommend the indirect form for subscribe/unsubscribe, to avoid issues with munging and with not using the same account for both actions. Guess I could try it and see!