On 2011-01-27 8:05 AM, Cley Faye wrote:
The thing is, good design practice tend to avoid doing things with pixel as
the measurement units, for the reason explained in this thread.
For example, if your display is set to a specific DPI, having a pixel
settings in libreoffice would allow you to set the text exactly like you
want... but if someone browsing your website have another settings, your
text will be all off for this user.
For those reason i don't think it make much sense to add a "pixel" unit in
LibreOffice, as it will be dependant of a given DPI setting anyway. For your
issue, you might want to either translate your "pixel" settings in cm (or
anything) while editing the document, or properly design your site to use
those unit instead of fixed pixel settings...
Hello, Cley,

I was thinking about this and, indeed, Photoshop has pixels available and has two different option settings:
  For rulers, they offer: pixels, inches, cm, mm, points, picas, percent
  For type, they offer: pixels, points, mm

Then there is an option for Point/Pica size of either
    - PostScript (72 points/inch
    - Traditional (72.27 points/inch)

This is from version CS, which is what I have handy here (I do have CS5 on my photo computer, but it's not booted at the moment.

I am of mixed mind about offering options (and I'm not doing the coding, so the labour to do it isn't an issue with me <smile>). - (1) The available options should make sense and enforce good design practice - (2) This is a tool and the user knows what they want/need and the software should make an effort to accommodate user's wishes

(1), I fear, is a very rigorous approach and people generally don't like to be told how to work--they don't like modifying their behaviour to the tool. (2) is certainly a customer-centric approach but the downside is that it makes the code more complex and contributes to a major criticism of the market-leader office suite: that it is bloatware.

While I agree with your reply, Cley, (it seems as if you are agreeing with my reply), I'm wondering philosophically how TDF wishes to approach the question. I think, if it doesn't cost much effort, adding it as an option at least has precedent and it might make Arun's life easier. I don't think it hurts anything and the documentation could explain the conversion factor of how the pixel count is arrived at. Not knowing the internals of LO/OOo, I wonder if this isn't just at a user interface level anyway. I think MSO uses 1/1440 of an inch as the internal increment, but that goes back 20 years to a little study I did on the Word format as I was investigating writing my own printer drivers for Word 5 for DOS.

An interesting aside, I think LO is more consistent between the spreadsheet application and the word processing application in measuring widths than MSO. If I recall, width changes in Excel when the font size (or the default font size) changes!

Cheers,

Richard

I believe that PhotoShop deserves its market share and it is one of a handful of programs I'm not looking for a freeware alternative for. It is interesting to note that they offer this option. I also THINK they offer it in InDesign as well.

--
Richard L. Hess                   email: richard@richardhess.com
Aurora, Ontario, Canada           http://www.richardhess.com/