On Sunday 26 December 2010 12:21:22 pm Andy Brown wrote:
On Sun Dec 26 2010 12:42:57 GMT-0800 (PST)  Katheryne Draven wrote:
I would have to agree with Mark Pare'. A unified installation format
should be created. In the beginning of OOo. There was a tar one could
extra and put into place anywhere and just run OOo from that. When OOo
began creating distro specific package, it became easier for those
running these favoured distros, but for everyone else, it became more
difficult.

For example I run Ark Linux. Its an independent rpm based, kde centric
distro. We are not a clone distro like the ubuntus.  So I have to
adapted OOo and even LiberOffice (which is easier than OOo). It would
have been better to be able to just use an install script of some
kind.

This is coming from an advanced user and minor independent none cloned
distro devel. Can you image how noobs must feel?

Mark is right, LO needs to have one common installation format that
doesn't  reward some distros for having money to push themselves into
the spotlight or punish those little distros that don't.

Thanks and hope I haven't offended anyone,

Kate Draven

I see no need for anyone to take offense.  Even though I use Ubuntu that
has to be an easer way to install the non-standard distro versions.  If
one is willing to stick with what the distro provides that is fine but
some prefer to move ahead for new features or bug fixes that do not make
it into the distro versions.

My 2cents.

Andy

Maybe the pain felt now is temporary, because LO is a RC and each distro has not
had time to package LO.  I prefer my distro to manage my packages for me. Having
a package manager be aware of installed apps, having the system share libraries,
dictionaries/spellchecking, fonts, etc is my preference.

Not sure if the  'one installer to rule them all' fits or does not fit the
traditional way Linux has been using for package management, rpms, debs, tgz etc.
I am fortunate that Debian has folks packaging LO, thanks for that.
--
Peace,

Greg