On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 14:12:48 -0500
Goldfish <goldfish@aol.in> wrote:

Hi,

Why Can't we have simple installation instructions on
www.libreoffice.org like the following that I got from another
website which had similar instructions for RC 1?

Installation
Open the terminal and type :-
Quote:
cd ~/Downloads
tar xvzf LibO_3.3.0rc1_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz
cd ~/Downloads/LibO_3.3.0rc1_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US/DEBS
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
cd desktop-integration
sudo dpkg -i libreoffice3.3-debian-menus_3.3-3_all.deb
and its done.

Credit: http://www.linoob.com/2010/10/libreoffice-3-3-0-in-ubuntu/

I did notice that the default download is for an rpm package, which
will be nice when I boot to Fedora but for LMDE I did find the link for
deb packages and though the link is called 'release notes' it leads to
install instructions, from the Document Foundation home page. It's here:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Installing_LibreOffice_on_Linux#Installation_of_LibreOffice_3.3_on_Debian.2FUbuntu-Based_Linux_systems

That's the information I've been using to install the rc1 and then
remove it and install the rc2 deb package. It's much easier than
getting a source package I have to try to compile (configure and make
and all of that...).

However the link on that page under 'Download this
package' points to an rc1 download location that comes back with a 404
not found error. I started downloading the correct package before
I got to that link so it's not an issue for me, but I thought I'd
mention it ... and otherwise it's written well enough that I've been
able to follow it pretty easily.

cheers,

Cia W