2010/12/22 shirish शिरीष <shirishag75@gmail.com>:
In-line :-

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 15:31, Tom Davies <tomdavies04@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
HI :)

Hi :)

Snips are good.  Staying relevant is important :)

I think rtf is inferior to odt.  The newer versions of MicroSquish Office (2007
& 2010) can both read "odt" now and odt is the one worth promoting most strongly
surely?

Yes and no. Look at it from two ways, yes in MS you may be able to
read in .odt but it would same as 'using an elephant to kill an ant'
or something like that. Ironically something similar was the basis of
Openoffice.org when they started long time back.

I am looking at the biggest base and the simplest format which can be
read by as many text-editors as can be read. The .rtf format achieves
that.

Hm, in this case you should use simple text files. Any editor can read
this, for example gedit or kate on Linux and Notepad or Notepad+ on
Windows. I don't know about any editor for Mac's. But unfortunately,
with plain text, you don't have any formatting.

If I was a small device manufacturer then also .rtf would fit the
bill. There was talk of an odf-viewer but it was highly broken the
last time I saw it ~ over 2 years ago. So just because Microsoft is
playing ball doesn't mean its good or bad. I hope you are getting my
point.

Honestly, if I were a small device manufacturer, I would not want to
use rtf at all. But I guess, this depends on what kind of devices
you're talking about. ;)

Also I don't want to be in a place to push or give a single
alternative format, that's the reason we landed on the whole
openoffice.org in the first place.

I agree, showing several alternatives is good!

I can hopefully send some documents tomorrow (Thursday) when i work on the
http://www.cecf.co.uk
website.  Something with pictures but no macros and in various formats?  Short 1
or 2 page documents or long, research articles?

I don't know if .rtf can read macros or not. If yes, that's also
great, honestly haven't seen that. The 1 or 2 pages long is good, but
better would be probably a spreadsheet, pictures or whatever good
combos think of. I don't know if Libreoffice has a sort of community
place where user-generated content could be put up. If there is such a
place, it would be good if you put it up there and just give me the
links, this way everybody gets a chance to also use that.

A suggestion: You can create an account at the wiki
(wiki.documentfoundation.org) and upload the files there. Every user
has his own page, that can be used for stuff like this.

Would documents need to have been done through LibreOffice?  I am still using an
older version of OpenOffice (still has the Sun logo) at the moment.  I am just
waiting for the .deb to reach the Ubuntu repos or at least be easy to install.

I don't know which version of Ubuntu you are using, I had installed it
on Ubuntu 10.10 the last time I had access to a Ubuntu 10.10 release.
Couple of places which give you how you can do it.

http://www.mydailytechtips.com/2010/10/how-to-install-libreoffice-in-ubuntu.html

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-libreoffice-in-ubuntu-using-deb-packages.html

The latter is the way I did it in Debian and apart from having
openoffice.org shortcut in the menus everything else works fine.

I think installing LibreOffice is pretty straight forward on either
rpm or deb-based distributions.

Download the file that you want to install, unpack it with your
preferred tool (unzip or e. g. ark for GUI users). If you're not on a
terminal yet, I would suggest that you go there now and change into
the directory with your deb-files. Get root-privileges (su or sudo,
what ever you prefer) and enter

dpkg -i *.deb

This installs all the files in the right order automatically. You
don't have to figure out which packet to install first, second and so
on. Install the packet for the deskopt integration in the same way
(it's in a sub folder in the debs-directory).

Same instructions apply to installing an extra language-pack (if needed).

For someone who runs a rpm-based distro, the equivalent of the above command is

rpm -Uvh *.rpm

-U means update (=delete old version and install new one)
-v verbose (tells you what it's doing)
-h uses hash signs to give you some sort of progress bar

Greetings from
Sigrid