On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 7:20 AM, AG <computing.account@googlemail.com> wrote:
On 28/11/10 18:09, Sebastian G. <bastik> wrote:

I'd like to know which components are most used and maybe why others are
not. If you used OpenOffice before you can include your usage data as well.

Like many others, I primarily use Writer.  This would account for
likely 90% of my *office use.
I am a professional, freelance translator.
I use writer to proofread documents translated with OmegaT.
I have used Anaphraseus (http://anaphraseus.sourceforge.net/) to
translate documents, which is a plugin for OpenOffice,
but, have not yet tried it with LibreOffice.  (I still have OOo 2.4,
since that is what is available in the Debian/Stable repos).
I have spreadsheets for accounting purposes, as well, which I treat with calc.

tony

Do you use the quick starter?

No.
I think somebody mentioned that it doesn't function in gnu/linux.
Even if it did, I keep my system as light and efficient as possible,
stripping as many elements as possible from automagically started apps,
running only what I need.  This machine is a bit old.
It's only a 3.2g Celeron with 1.5g of ram.
I use debian/stable, with openbox, and no desktop environment, panels, etc.
to keep resource usage light and reserve system resources for the rather heavy
software I must use for my work (OmegaT, writer, a browser, etc.)
Even with this old, slow machine, I get excellent performance with my
system configured
as I have it.
I rarely use impress or the html component, never use draw or base.
I suppose learning how to use databases and base could be useful to
me, but haven't taken
the time to do so.  I use GIMP for image manipulation, and write html
for my sites in a text editor
(tcltext, which is of my own creation,
http://baldwinsoftware.com/tcltext.html) primarily.
I wouldn't have the slightest idea what to do with math, since I'm a
linguist, and not a mathematician.

./tony

--
http://www.baldwinlinguas.com