On 30/05/23 13:57, Justin Luth wrote:

Italo, you have now communicated two different names for the "new"
process. Originally you said it was "24.2", but here you have noted it
as 2024.2. Please clarify.

I don't see any problem whatsoever with the shorter 24.2. I'm quite sure
the project will be able to transition to the latest versioning fad
before 2099.

The one that fits best developemnt: 24.2 or 2024.2 are the same for marketing. Stephan Bergmann has expressed a concern about 24.2, and I answered accordingly. Marketing is meant to change perceptions, and in this case the change from 24.2 to 2024.2 doesn't change the perception of a calendar based release number.

By the way, I think that the distinction between "fresh" and "still"
is now obsolete and can be deprecated.

Unfortunately, that is wishful marketing speak. Regressions are still a
huge concern. The distinction is absolutely relevant, and always will be.

Of course, but relating the two versions to software stability - the names "fresh" and "still" were created to counteract the campaign against LibreOffice, supported by IBM and mostly voiced by the Italian AOO community (there wasn't any other AOO community apart from the one in Italy) - has been perceived by users as "LibreOffice has stability issues" which is still used by some people against LibreOffice.

Luckily, this campaign is now over, and AOO has no energy and manpower to restart it (nor the AOO community, which has disappeared).

The reality is that, apart from regressions, the last version of LibreOffice is as stable as the previous one, and as the majority of users doesn't know the concept of bugs and regressions (because they are never mentioned by Microsoft, which is the reference for the office suite market) we have the opportunity of repositioning the two versions as targeted to different clusters of users: technology savvy users for the newer version, and normal users for the previous version.

This means that we revert a negative perception (LibreOffice has to provide two versions of the software because of stability issues) into a positive and unique advantage: LibreOffice provides a version optimized for different users, based on the different level of maturity of the underlying LibreOffice Technology platform.

LibreOffice Technology, being a development platform and not a product, can have different maturity levels, according to the number of tests and reviews performed by development and quality assurance. For users, this will mean choosing between the most feature rich and the most tested versions of the software.

All this will be explained in a white paper, and summarized in a slide deck which will be presented at the LibreOffice Conference.
--
Italo Vignoli - italo@vignoli.org
mobile/signal +39.348.5653829