Hi Jean-Francois,

On 30/01/2019 18:33, Jean-Francois Nifenecker wrote:

So, as thorough it might be, your
social media monitoring is biased: (libre software) social media are not
for John Doe, but for geeks only.

That's not completely true. Different social media platforms have
different audiences. Geeks tended to be more active on Google+ (before
Google announced its closure), whereas our Facebook page activity is
almost entirely around end users.

I talk to them every day on Facebook, and the vast majority of them are
definitely not geeky. They talk about writing letters or doing their
home finances. They ask simple technical support questions and talk
about recommending LibreOffice to their friends and family.

Another data point: the infobar in the app brings around 800-900 users
every day to the "Get involved" page on our website. Of course, we
cannot easily measure how many of those visitors become active
contributors in the project, but it's a good start IMO.

It is highly probable that these people are geeks.

Then great -- we have 800-900 geeks who are visiting our "Get involved"
page every day! Isn't that an argument in favour of keeping it? :-)

But... John Doe is *not* the target and
might react as Justin stated.

Many people in the community started as end users and then got more
involved, either by joining mailing lists, doing some things on the
wiki, helping on Ask etc. I've done lots of interviews on the TDF blog
over the last few years, and many community members began as regular end
users. So I don't think it's wrong to target them, IMO...

But yes, if there are better ways, we should discuss them of course!

Mike