Marc Paré wrote on 2013-10-28 03:11:

I think we should think of it strategically. If MS is there with a
booth, we should also be there with a booth, and, we should also be
highlighting interoperability and any other advantages that LibreOffice
has over MSOffice. We also need to shore up our marketing strategy on
using LibreOffice on corporate clouds with running cloud/CMIS examples
at the booths. Make sure the booths are manned by competent LibreOffice
team members for demonstrations as well as demonstrate the cloud setups.
Finally, need to have solid marketing presence to counter any negative
publicity (TCO etc.) put our by our competitor at CeBit (if any such
publicity is put out). We need to show how our corporate structure is
serious about  code development, community involvement and
product-market penetration.

This should be combined with talks and some hint at upcoming code
development for the project.

I totally agree, which is why I raise this issue early. Spending 4k € for a booth like last year, but not many TDF people around, and not many collaterals, doesn't make sense. Jacqueline and Thomas have done a tremendous job for that, but TDF per se has failed (including myself, so excuse being so harsh with words here :-)

While 7-10k € is a chunk of money, my personal take is this could be a wise investment, but _only_ if we prepare things accordingly and in time: materials, talks, people at the booth, and then also finding sponsors to cover parts of the cost.

CeBIT is the place to meet especially business users and to "be there", to "be seen", which is an opportunity we shouldn't let pass.

Of course, we can also go with just a few people attending and giving talks, no booths - depends on what impact we want to pay for. :)

Florian