On 07/23/2013 08:29 PM, Marc Paré wrote:
FYI, if you have not read of this, it is the 8 business priorities as laid out by Kevin Turner (MS Chief Operating Officer) for the upcoming fiscal 2014 year.

http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-top-eight-business-priorities-for-fiscal-2014-7000017844/

Knowing this information may help us with some of our LibreOffice business strategies.

The fact that MS's tablet seemed to be a failure, since their first one [Surface RT?] was not compatible for a very large percentage of Windows software, even Win8 software, but MS advertisements implied that they would. The second version [Surface Pro] was more comparable with Win7/8 packages, while the major computer makers made their Win8 tablet convertibles run most of the Windows packages that could fit in their system resource limitations.

So MS now is being written about as a failing company, or at least by some of the articles I have seen.

What they will do in the next 12 months to win users back to their products could be "drastic" and even "shady".

MS needs to make uses either want to use their high priced products, or force users to use their products by some "requirements" and/or internal system that will not allow the competition package to run on their "systems".

The fight to allow for dual booting systems with PC that came with Win8 will heat up again. How much more will there be that will be made a part of the BIOS and core of a PC that has Win8 installed that will make the installation and/or running of Linux on those systems be seen as if it is a nasty-old-virus or some other "crap" that MS wants to block users to choose OSs post-purchase of a system.

I had a really hard time finding a laptop that did not come with Win8, and its dual-booting mess, so I could have a laptop that ran Ubuntu as the default OS with Win7 as the secondary one. Win7 systems seemed to cost a premium when I bought the laptop. It almost seemed like all of the makers has to charge an extra fee to run Win7, or even have no OS installed, when MS was in its big push for people to buy new systems with Win8 installed. There was only one Win7 laptop anywheres near my pricing option, with all of the other Win7 laptops at least $200 more than the same specifications with Win8 installed.

So I predict a lot more of these "problems" from MS in the next year to may life for us Linux and open source users a hassle. But, if we can show people that LO does not play the types of games that MS and other proprietary software companies seem to be doing more and more these days. The more MS fights "openness" the more they could look bad and packages like LO will look good. Free now, and free always, can help families keep their back to school software budgets from becoming more than their mortgage payments.