On 07/25/2013 04:10 AM, Italo Vignoli wrote:
On 25/07/2013 09:58, Marc Paré wrote:

For the younger set, this is a good deal even if they do have
LibreOffice installed.
I know, I was just joking. By the way, nothing similar in Europe
(actually, the Xbox offer has a high price, and impacts on the bottom
line of Office 365, which is significant because it means that they are
not selling Office 365 - a must for them, to maintain their cash cow -
and they are not selling old style licenses).

Yes, I have seen articles about MS reduced income of their normalcash cow products. They are not getting as much income from their normal money makers so they are looking for other ways to make income.

Here in the USA there are a number of "rental centers" for getting items on a monthly rental plan till you completely pay their fee to keep it. That rental fee adds up to 2 to 3 times the direct purchase price. I see $300 TVs going for 24 months at $30 a month. People here are use to rent-to-own. Of course the car leasing idea have you pay for your car and then after 3 years you have to give it back. Maybe MS was thinking about that type of marketing/sales idea when going into the rental idea for their online and offline office suites.

As for the cloud, I would never allow MS to hold onto my data. I do not even use Ubuntu One "cloud service". Now if there was a Linux plan for a company like "Carbonite" backup system for unlimited backup for a low yearly price, I might try it. But even though it is encrypted, the time it takes to upload almost 5 TB of data at 160 KB/s +/- would take the year to upload the data.

I am not a game player, but the idea of the new "game bar" that tracks your movements is not something I like. There was an article about a "virus" where someone could track your movements without you knowing about it. It may not record your image as life-like as a camera does, but it could detect who was who and tack their movements over time. There was a "warning" about doing anything you should not in front of one of those "Connect bars" or whatever they are called. The same "tracking" idea has taken video off of the web cams on laptops in the bedrooms of teens and adult women was in the news a few months ago. The article told people to tape a piece of paper over the web cam when you are not using it. It seems that the "nasty" that was doing the deed got through the security software the girls/women had on their Windows laptops.

So, there are a lot of good reasons for going with Linux and going with LibreOffice.
Linux for the security and LO for the price.