Hello everyone,

I'd like to share with you an early report on our Facebook ad campaign.
My first surprize was that a Facebook ad has to be validated by Facebook
and it  does take time (several days). Consequently, the ad campaign
effectively started on the 7th of May. From the 7th till today (6 days)
the ad was seen by 74,298 unique people, over a general scope of over
135 Million people (people selected in English-speaking geographies with
specific interests, from small business owner to education-interested
audiences and tech early adopters). I can provide a specific audience
segmentation if needed. Needless to say, I configured the ad to run for
people who are not related to LibreOffice. The goal of this ad was to
get more "Likes", and thus the report follows that logic.

The ad was seen by 74,298 people, that's the effective outreach of the
ad until now. On these people, 718 people actually clicked on the ad,
went to the LibreOffice Facebook page and on these 718 people, 560 liked
it (clicked on the like this page button).

This costed (again, till today) 165 Euros and 46 cents. Keep in mind we
have set a limit of 30 Euros for each day the ads run. In the end it
seems that each "Like" by anyone on Facebook to the LibreOffice page
costs 30  cents.

I have more in-depth metrics if anyone's interested, but I'd like to
share my feeling about this ad: On the one hand it's great because it
seems we are able to raise the awareness of LibreOffice; both the
potential audience and the effective audience numbers are impressive;
but then what does clicking on a Like button mean? I don't know what to
think about that.

I'm sure we can have another campaign with different objectives,
(Facebook ads can be run according to more complex patterns) but at this
stage I'm both happy by the audience and at the same time I  don't know
what to do with it: so we got 560 clicks. "Cool", so what? :-) let's be
thankful for them and hope we are attracting not just new users but
future contributors as well.

Your thoughts are welcome,
--
Charles-H. Schulz
Co-Founder & Director, The Document Foundation,