Hello Tim,

Le jeudi 02 mai 2013 à 09:25 -0400, Kracked_P_P---webmaster a écrit :

On 2013-04-30 08:42, Danishka Navin wrote:
"The government of Spain's autonomous region of Extremadura has
begun the switch to open source of it desktop PCs. The government
expects the majority of its 40,000 PCs to be migrated this year,
the region's CIO Theodomir Cayetano announced on 18 April.
Extremadura estimates that the move to open source will help save
30 million euro per year."

https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/community/osor/news/spains-extremadura-starts-switch-40000-government-pcs-open-source

  Can we expect 40,000 desktops with the LibreOffice? :-/

This is a really important announcement and as such I wanted to make
sure everybody got these details right.

I downloaded and tried the Linex ISO image which is the basis for this
deployment. The current version dates from just February.

It's based on Debian 7 (which is about to be released this weekend),
and as such it features LibreOffice 3.5.4:
http://pix.toile-libre.org/upload/original/1367462998.png

I hope that's useful if/when this deployment is mentioned in the TDF /
LibreOffice material.

Cheers,

Fabian

- --
Fabián Rodríguez

Fabián, you are saying that these 40,000 PCs would use Linux and
LibreOffice, instead of Windows and MS Office?

That would be great.  I was talking to a manager who flatly stated that
MSO is to ingrained into our society for LO to be successful at all.  I
told her that various governments and large businesses world wide are
switching to open source options, like LibreOffice and dropping MSO.  I
also told her that the European office suite market is embracing the
switch from MS software to open source software especially switching
from MSO to LO for their office suite needs. That is Europe and it would
not ever happen in the US, is roughly what she stated in a long
"rebuttal" she gave me gave me.

I still would love to see a list of these governments [national,
regional, local] and the large businesses, hospitals, and such, that are
switching to LO.  With a printable list that has all the "large user
groups" listed in an easy to read outline list.  Then we can "quote"
that document and show a potential business user/manager all of the
governments, businesses, and other large organizations, that switched to
LO and dropped MSO.  If we can show this type of itemized list/outline
as part of our marketing efforts, then we could have something showing
that other businesses/governments/organizations have switched.

40,000 PCs here, 30,000 there, whole city/regional/national government
PCs numbering from 1,000 to 100,000 users.  Showing published numbers
and totals helps.  I bet if someone added up the numbers [or estimates
for the organizations and such], would add up to over 1+ million PCs
conversions to LO and open source over MS products.  If you add all the
numbers, in the articles, from the start of TDF/LO, it could actually be
several millions.

Showing that world wide there have been one or several million PCs/users
switching to LO would be a real help for local/community marketing.

I am really glad that Fabián let us know about the Spanish region that
is switching.  We need to see more of that. Yet we really need a list
somewhere reflecting these articles and the numbers.

While it's true that these migrations are not happening in North
America, have you ever heard of the city of Largo, Florida? They moved
to OOo first and then to LibreOffice. It's not a small town (okay, it's
not Miami either) and you may also want to take a look there.

Best,

--
Charles-H. Schulz
Co-Founder & Director, The Document Foundation,