On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 4:15 AM, Tom Davies <tomdavies04@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
Hi :)
I think the Maths Guide is about to have a major re-vamp, probably after the 4.0.0.  I'm not sure
if that would affect an application for an ISBN number.

Where do you get the idea that the Maths Guide is about to have a
major re-vamp? Have I missed something at Docs?

For an ISBN, all I have to do is add one to the book.

Note, however, that at this point only the printed version of the
books have ISBN; the PDFs do not (because we don't sell them). PDFs
and printed books and eBooks each require a separate ISBN. Friends of
OpenDocument buys ISBN in sets of 100, so I have plenty to use.

As for abusing the wholesale offer i think that is not really a worry.  The aim is to get the
guides out there as far and widely as possibly.  If someone is smart enough and keen enough
(about LO) then they hopefully will make good use of the guides anyway, either to make sure they
get seen or to help people migrate to LibreOffice.  The aim is less about generating profit and
more about getting the guides out there.

I agree. I am not concerned about this.

Hopefully people wont try to abuse the system too much.  Even at full price the guides really
don't cost much especially when compared to similar guides for rival products.  Also i am sure
the Friends of OpenDocument are sensible enough to manage the requests sensibly.  Sending full
sets of guides out to all 51 libraries might or might not present a bit of a challenge to them
but i'm sure they could figure out a way of doing something sensible.

There is a bit of work for me involved in buying the books, but
including all copies is trivially more work than just ordering one.

It still makes sense to send directly to where they are required to save the effort of
re-distributing.

See my earlier note in response to Marc. I am not so sure sending
directly to the library is the better idea... unless the request comes
directly from the library.