On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 1:35 AM, klaus-jürgen weghorn ol
<ol@sophia-louise.de> wrote:
Hi Marc, Jean,
Am 06.02.2013 09:45, schrieb Marc Paré:

[...]
(For example, my school board operates 51 libraries, some small/others
quite large, sample texts arrive weekly to the libraries and most often
are not put on the stacks but are either left on a shelf for later
disposal or distributed to teachers who think may use them, BUT only
after being vetted by the head librarian to make sure the texts follow
school board teaching philosophies and programme expectations. If the
texts do not follow programme expectations, then they are not accepted
for library use. In our case, the LibreOffice guides fit in well but
still must go through internal vetting approval process. The more
well-known are guides the shorter the vetting process.)

In Germany many libraries start now to offer e-books. And I think many
in Canada/Australia and all over the world do this.
Why don't you try to get our e-books (epub/pdf) first in the libraries?
No expenses. When we will get in such a library then the question about
written books will come from the users.

Ok, there is for now only one epub for Getting started 3.3 [1] but this
may be an Easy Hack for documentation list doing it especially with 4.0.
And all books are available as pdf.

[1] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications

This is a good idea. PDFs are available, but I do not think the
formatting of the eBook for 3.3 (done by Lulu) is very good. Creating
a well-formatted eBook is not easy, because our template
contains features (including the tables for tips, notes, cautions, and
the use of custom styles for headings, among other things) that do not
convert well. This is a big reason why I want to change some things in
the template. Dan Lewis has notes on how he hacked the conversion of
one chapter, but we need to improve the template and the process.

--Jean