Le 2012-10-14 09:53, Marc Paré a écrit :
Le 2012-10-14 06:24, Bjoern Michaelsen a écrit :

While I agree that this is an important topic, I think it is not one
that can
easily be bootstrapped effectively with small amount of money. IMHO, the
important part is forming a 'critical mass' to ignite a self-sustaining
community there. My guess is that would need:

- One Hackfest in the US with some of the key contributors (who are
mostly in
the EU) flown in -- of course, we should also rally whatever we have
based in
the US as it is cheaper than flying over the pond
- Two or three US conferences attended by LibreOffice people before
that to
rally the people to join the Hackfest (if possible our rare US-based
contributors).

Ideally the location and time of the Hackfest slipstreams one of the big
events, e.g. the weekend right after OSCON in Portland, or the Community
Leadership Summit.

But that wont be cheap -- and it doesnt make sense to do it 'halfway'.
Either
you kickstart it into self-suistaining mode with such an event or you
spend no
money on it and let it grow into self-sustainability itself.

Best,

Bjoern

I also agree with this. Although, at first I would suggest that we need
to fly in key-contributors from the EU project in to help seed the
project. OSCON seems like the conference most cited from people here and
it also seems like the most logical place to hold a short LibreOffice
conference. Flying in key-American contributors to such a conference as
well would seem to make sense

Growing the community in the US is another big topic of discussion that
needs to be discussed fully. There is a definite need for US marcons to
get things going ... the population in the US is nearing 320 million and
the territory to cover is quite large.

While these are great projects to which plans are needed, as far as the
subject topic of "Funding Wishlist", we need to make a proposal out of
this.

If we make try to make it sensible then, propose the following:

=========================

Plan on flying a couple of EU-TDF/LibreOffice representatives to OSCON
in the year 2013 and put on a short 1-2 day Libreoffice conference? How
does does sound as a proposal? (OSCON 2013 July 22-26)

This proposal should also include costs for a booth at OSCON and perhaps
one of the TDF/LibO presenting a paper at the conference.

As suggested by Bjoern, this should NOT be included as a wishlist item (I also agree) as this is more of a large project. But, on the other hand perhaps we could still include it on the wishlist as a note to the BoD that this should be tagged as a larger project wishlist that should be kept in mind when organizing the larger TDF/LibreOffice Conference.

IMO, ideally, we should have both a main "TDF/LibreOffice Global Conference" and an "America's TDF LibreOffice Conference". This would in fact "regionalize" the globe into two distinct regions where the TDF/LibreOffice could meet. We could have the "TDF/LibreOffice America's Conference" meet before the "TDF/LibreOffice Global Conference" and have "chosen, America's Conference TDF "member-ambassadors" report to the Global Conference in person.

The America's Conference could alternate the meetings between North (one year) and then South America (the other year). The Global Conference could meet in other locales on the globe except for the America's and perhaps meet every 5th year somewhere in the America's.

Marc Paré
Marc@MarcPare.com
http://www.parEntreprise.com