On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 05:38:57PM -0400, webmaster-Kracked_P_P wrote:
I would like to see more marketing and group meeting in the USA and Canada.

It would be nice to promote regional distributions, like the NA-DVD
project, but we need more LO promotion in this side of the ocean
PERIOD.

Someone with more marketing skills will tell you what is needed and
what will work in this region[s] of our world.  I do not have the
needed experience needed, or the health, to do the needed promotion
and marketing in my tri-state area of the USA.  But if we can get
the marketing in the big cities, like New York City, LA, and all the
others between them and from Florida to Washington State.
Washington D.C. would help as well.

While I agree that this is an important topic, I think it is not one that can
easily be bootstrapped effectively with small amount of money. IMHO, the
important part is forming a 'critical mass' to ignite a self-sustaining
community there. My guess is that would need:

- One Hackfest in the US with some of the key contributors (who are mostly in
  the EU) flown in -- of course, we should also rally whatever we have based in
  the US as it is cheaper than flying over the pond
- Two or three US conferences attended by LibreOffice people before that to
  rally the people to join the Hackfest (if possible our rare US-based
  contributors).

Ideally the location and time of the Hackfest slipstreams one of the big
events, e.g. the weekend right after OSCON in Portland, or the Community
Leadership Summit.

But that wont be cheap -- and it doesnt make sense to do it 'halfway'. Either
you kickstart it into self-suistaining mode with such an event or you spend no
money on it and let it grow into self-sustainability itself.

Best,

Bjoern