ma 15.10.2012 19:44 webmaster-Kracked_P_P kirjoitti:
I wonder why there is a problem with direct donations in Finland.

We have about 140 000 registered non-profit associations for a 5 million
population. They don't need to pay taxes for money donated to them. I
think the idea was that if all of them could organize donation campaigns
it would be too difficult to ensure that the system would not be misused
for evading taxes or cheating the donors. Most associations only collect
membership fees and spontaneous donations (no permit is needed for those).
Only a small fraction needs to campaign for donations and bother with the
permit.

In reality the law has not been shown to be effective. And the fact that
it now also prevents campaigns for foreign associations may even be a
mistake and not the intention of the lawmakers.

SO, maybe Finland's laws require a permit process to make sure the
donations are going to the organization you claim it is going to. I
wonder how much the permit costs and how often it needs to be refiled?

The permit for this kind of non-local campaign costs 240 euros. The
validity period is determined on case-by-case basis but it cannot be
longer than two years. But the cost is not the biggest issue. There is a
long list of rules that needs to be followed and for an international
project like this some of them are really restrictive.

I wonder if there are any regulations for using a credit/debit card to
donate, vs. using PAypal taking the payment from a checking account.

Here all of them can be used (I think) as long as the methods are reported
when you apply for the permit. After you have the permit you cannot add
new payment methods.

Harri