I am going to revive this thread to see if there is anything we could do with it.

Below is part of the short discussion we had with Fabián Rodríguez about using Zotero in our keeping track of LibreOffice publications etc. found on the internet.[1]

We are/have tried to keep track of these through our wiki page -- LibreOffice in the Press (thank you Tom for keeping it up to date)[2]. I was wondering if, rather than keeping records on the wiki, if it would be possible to set up a WebDav server to see if we could start using Zotero to manage the LibreOffice in the Press list.

This would go a long way in proving the usefulness of LibreOffice in this particular fashion, especially in academia.

We often come by resources and publications that are pertinent to LibreOffice. It would serve both as a useful reference tool for our contributor teams as well as resources for our users. This would be more along the lines of a "Proof of Concept" of the use of LibreOffice as a reference tool.

I realize there may be other extensions to LibreOffice that offer the same service, it would not be an endorsement of the Zotero product of itself, but more an endorsement of the practical use of such products.

Would setting up a Zotero WebDav be possible, as an experiment, to start? Zotero does offer free hosting along with the social experience of group discussions, but we already have our social groups organized and we would only have to ad our own server to make it work for us.

Would anyone else be interested? (Fabían, Tom?)

> I can also see that the storage space could quickly get gobbled up if
we were contribute for all of our international and language groups.
Quota is only calculated on attachments. Don't sync attachments and it
won't matter.

> Some questions:
>
> * can an account be shared with other people?
I suppose so, like any set of credentials. Why would you do that? What
problem do you want to address by sharing an account?

> * would people have access to the list through their own Zotero extension?
The lists/articles/groups are public on the website.

> * I imagine it would be possible to have the feed available on our
website pages ... I am just wondering how it would look with the
different categories. Could you put in fake articles in each category to
see what the feed would look like?

It's all available via RSS feeds. This would be the corresponding feed
for my LibreOffice articles:
https://api.zotero.org/users/986243/collections/WHBXSUDV/items/top

Several feeds could then be aggregated into a planet/other front ends.

> * maybe this is more than I was anticipating BUT I can definitely see
its usefulness as in a "LibreOffice Reference Library" where people
could browse for particular instances of help with LibreOffice (I think
this is what you had suggested in your last post)

I am discovering Zotero, it's not a "zero learning curve" experience but
it's easy enough given the possible uses. I am thinking everytime I
visit a bookstore and I see a LibreOffice magazine article or book I can
quickly add its reference for example. Then having a very precise book
list, from different countries/languages would be easy. I am using these
mobile applications:
http://l1bre.ca/l/tags.php/apps+android+zotero

> * can the list be backed up locally on a hardrive?
Yes, you can save all your data locally only or sync it to Zotero's
servers. You can sync your attachments to Zotero's servers (and pay more
for more space) or to your own Webdav server (only limited by your
setup), and you can export all the data in several formats for
local/remote backups.
> I can see perhaps making arrangements with Zotero giving LibreOffice an
account with storage space in exchange for highlighting their name on
the webpage where the list would be kept on our site.

I don't see the need for a particular arrangement knowing the space is
not a primary concern, and knowing the rather limited initial audience
for this. "The list" wouldn't be only one as this could generate several
categories and references ("news articles","books", etc.). But that's my
limited impression for now, I tend to focus on the raw data.

Cheers,

Fabián Rodríguez

[1] http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentation.libreoffice.marketing/5610

[2] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/LibreOffice_In_The_Press