On 08/21/2012 10:33 AM, toki wrote:
On 08/20/2012 09:37 AM, Florian Monfort wrote:
Is it any good compared to LibreOffice ?
The versions I've tested have not been able to read, write, edit, or
create documents that use ODF file formats.

Nor were they able to open documents in various MSO file formats that I had.

jonathon

   *
   * English

   * English

Which versions of Softmaker and any specific MSO formats? MSOX formats are know to sometimes cause problems with non MSO office suites. ODT formats are read/write in SO 2012.

Also, did any of the files have VBA macros? VBA macros are a serious problem for non MSO suites because the macros do not always "translate" into the macro language of the other suite.

The real question is whether SO (or LO) is adequate MSO replacement for most users. My experience is for most users the answer is yes; most users only use a part of the available features. Then the issue is whether a proprietary, commercial package (SO) is better than LO. Technically, I believe LO is better and I do not find most commercial software support all that good (I have not checked SO's support). But others may have different opinions and comfort levels between proprietary and FOSS software.

IMHO, the real marketing issue for most users is that MS has convinced them that there is only office suite that can be used.

--
Jay Lozier
jslozier@gmail.com