On 08/20/2012 07:15 AM, Simon Phipps wrote:
On 20 Aug 2012, at 10:37, Florian Monfort wrote:

Is it any good compared to LibreOffice ?

Wanted to have your opinion !

http://www.softmaker.com/english/ofl_en.htm
It does not appear to be open source, so it does not offer its users either a guarantee of
continuity or any of the other benefits that arise from software freedom.

S.

There are three issues with Softmaker Office:

1) it is proprietary, commercial software. I have not compared its price to the equivalent MSO version. The nearest appears to be the MSO Student/Home version. Historically their price is less then Microsoft's.

2) The software only has equivalents to Writer, Calc, and Impress. If you need the functionality of Draw or Base you need to look elsewhere. Thus, no easy integration with Draw or Base equivalent. Personally, I prefer having a database built in.

3) It does not use ODF formats as default but uses their own proprietary formats as default; this can be changed easily to any supported format. They do support ODF and MSO formats. I do not if they have any problems with msox formats.

On the plus side:

1) They support Linux, Mac, and Windows.

2) They do not use the ribbon in the current release beta. Thus, migrating from MSO XP or earlier is relatively easy as migration to or from LO. The exact location of some of the commands should be quickly learned by any experienced user.

3) The overall functionality looks to be comparable to MSO and LO. I have not noticed anything to be missing in the 2012 Linux Beta.

I have the beta of 2012 Linux version installed. I usually have several office suites installed for comparison.

--
Jay Lozier
jslozier@gmail.com