Hi *,

when watching the pictures people took at the conference, I came
across that one:

http://naplatno.cz/libocon2011-days-1-2/content/DSC_1069_large.html

I kind of like that look - so here's my question: Are there
"not-so-technical"/fun variations of the LibreOffice/TDF logo to be
used as a "mascot"-icon?

OOo had the Gulls, be it as an abstract symbol, or a picture of a real
seagull or also the drawing created by Ben Bois, that is used mainly
in the education project in all kinds of variations.

Time for TDF/LO to get something similar, isn't it? Any graphically
skilled people around who could come up with something along those
lines?

The idea has been brought up before it seems
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Ideas#Develop_a_.22LibO.22_mascot
(but from my POV the paperplane one is just an object, no "living
thing")
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding/Ideas#Mascot
those are too far away from the metaphor/the branding. When you see
one of those you don't immediately recognize TDF or LibreOffice

So I'm more in favor of that minimalistic approach, "giving the Logo a face"

ciao
Christian

PS: While I also sent it to the design list, I'm not subscribed