On Sun, 2011-07-31 at 10:46 +0200, Florian Effenberger wrote:
Hello,

Hola,

I'm sitting in Hof on the LibreOffice German Community weekend at the
moment, and yesterday, we had a discussion about the sense and nonsense
of conference calls.

While it's no secret that I'm in favor of having regular calls, others
here heavily objected. They named language barriers and time zone
problems as stopper for people to join, and felt that those who cannot
join the phone conferences would be somehow excluded from decision making.

A very understandable concern.

My experience is that it sometimes can be really helpful to discuss with
people on the phone and just "get work done". I can understand that
decision making, should it be necessary, should be done on the mailing
list rather than on a phone call, and that minutes and recordings should
be provided afterwards -- however, I do not want to totally omit these
calls.

Agreed and that sounds like exactly what has been said before.

However, as the participation rate in the latest calls has been rather
low, and the participation in the latest poll
(http://www.doodle.com/pdsx39rueycptpeu) is also not that overwhelming,
I'd like to get some feedback from your side on what you think.

Do the calls make sense?

Continuing as they have been, no not really IMO.

Shall we have them regularly?

Regular voice contact is worth the effort, IMO.

Shall we do something different?

IMO - We need to give good reason for people to take the time to
interact - which means, I think, making it so something(s) of substance
comes from the time spent. Doing that is more then just picking a
certain timezone, of course.

One small idea and one amongst the steps that would be reasonably
attained would be, a monthly correspondence (let's call it a newsletter,
and think about some email/blog hybrid delivery, perhaps) and then
schedule this monthly publication to trail the meeting by a few days.

One of the functions of the meeting then is to allow anyone in the
community a well defined way to get community news, which may be very
local, in front of the broader community.

I think the above idea works best in the fixed meeting schedule scheme
and that it would be important to stress the use of IRC in conjunction
with the voice call - this can be one help, I would think, for language
barriers.

Anyway, it's one idea. So - going on with this here, in this email,
isn't the best approach - I will follow up with the idea, with some more
specificity, on the wiki, and point to it in a reply to this thread.

Thanks,

//drew