Joe Collura wrote on 2011-05-09 18.02:

0) i think 'LibO' abbreviation is confusing to me as it sounds like
the name of a programming library. whenever i read 'LibO' i think
library-O (truly my nerd bias)
but in that respect maybe 'LibreO' is a less confusing abbreviation
alternative?

hm, just from a gut feeling, I'd say that "LibreO" might be a bit harder to pronounce than "LibO". I'd avoid "LO" though, as it sounds like loo. :-)

i understand the programmers/contributors feelings about oracle but
still think that in the long run that IF the 'openoffice' trademark
would be TURNED OVER to the document foundation that it should be put to
use
as it would reinforce the continuity of my entry/mid level users.
it took me like 5y to get them to stop calling it 'ms word' for petes sake
and identify the bird logo.

I think that LibreOffice is a good brand already, with a good reputation. In terms of business, OpenOffice.org surely might be widely known, as it has been in existance for ten years already. However, in terms of community, LibreOffice is the much better brand, as it explains we're not open, but free (libre) now, and it marks the start of a new era.

That's of course just my personal take, comments welcome. :)

Florian

Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108