On 05/07/2011 07:59 PM, Bernhard Dippold wrote:
>> Hi Christian, Jean, all,
>>
>> Christian Lohmaier schrieb:
>> PS: This doesn't mean that there is any official rule for internal discussion: If you call LibreOffice LibO, LO, LibrO or anything else on our mailing lists doesn't matter much, as long as the reader know what you talk about (wiki might be a bit differently, especially on pages with external visitors / potential or new contributors).
>>
>I know that Oracle owns the trademark of "OpenOffice.org".
>Is LibreOffice a "registered trademarked" yet?

0) i think 'LibO' abbreviation is confusing to me as it sounds like
the name of a programming library. whenever i read 'LibO' i think library-O (truly my nerd bias) but in that respect maybe 'LibreO' is a less confusing abbreviation alternative?

1) i know this isnt popular but i am still biased toward
oracle surrendering the 'openoffice' name/logo to the documentfoundation
and was hoping they would in light of thier recent change:
([steering-discuss] growth of oracle friendship? 863 - Joe Collura <collura@seapenguin.net> ) (http://listarchives.documentfoundation.org/www/steering-discuss/msg00863.html)

one argment against the 863 steering-discuss letter was that
'oracle has done too much damage to the openoffice name'
but i disagree with that.  i have been promoting openoffice at
the user level for several years and users had finally began to
get comfortable with the openoffice name.
the sited oracle reputation damage is only within the programming community
and doesnt reflect my easily confused non-programmer-userbase.

i understand the programmers/contributors feelings about oracle but
still think that in the long run that IF the 'openoffice' trademark
would be TURNED OVER to the document foundation that it should be put to use
as it would reinforce the continuity of my entry/mid level users.
it took me like 5y to get them to stop calling it 'ms word' for petes sake
and identify the bird logo.

though this is looking to be a moot point it would have been nice to
avoid repeating the 5y cycle again lol.
my 2cents.

--

Wherever you go; There you are.  --BB