On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 8:12 PM, webmaster for Kracked Press Productions <
webmaster@krackedpress.com> wrote:

On 02/28/2011 09:25 PM, Jeff Chimene wrote:

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 5:59 PM, webmaster for Kracked Press Productions<
webmaster@krackedpress.com>  wrote:

 On 02/28/2011 03:06 PM, Marc Paré wrote:

 <snip>

  BTW ... we are also looking for space on a server for our ISO as well as

possibility to ftp into the server account.

 To reiterate: Drew and I talked about this at SCaLE, and it seems that
we're
better off using P2P to distribute the ISO image. this was also the
recommendation from RackSpace.

I'd recommend with Tim create and post the .torrent to a tracker of his
choosing, and provide the initial seed. After that, it's off to the races!

Cheers,
jec

 Never really dealt with .torrent stuff, so I do not know anything about
offering it from a file that I create.

Well, there's lots of stuff on the web about it. Here's a recipe:

Ingredients:
o BitTorrent client
o tracker
o input file

On demand, the BitTorrent software creates a .torrent file. "A *torrent file
* stores metadata used for
BitTorrent<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_%28protocol%29>"

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torrent_file

The initial seeder (you) uploads the .torrent to a tracker You may have to
create a (usually free) account on the tracker. If that's an issue, I'd be
happy to create the tracker account and upload the .torrent. A tracker is
"... a server <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_%28computing%29> that
assists in the communication between
peers<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peer-to-peer>using the BitTorrent
protocol <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_%28protocol%29>" See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_tracker

In our case, you then send a message to the marketing list with the
torrent's URL; which step is usually not necessary, since those hunting for
a file know to search trackers. However, since we won't know when you're
ready to start seeding, you have to tell us. This step introduces the
concept of the seeder.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminology_of_BitTorrent#Seeder

Those who are interested in the ISO will then download the .torrent file and
tell their client software to get the file associated with that .torrent
file. This step introduces the concept of the leecher.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leecher#P2P_networks_and_BitTorrent

So if there will be a .torrent version

No. See above. The .torrent is metadata.

of the DVD I am working on, I would need a lot of help doing that,

That's what your client software is for. ISTR you're running Ubuntu? There
are several BitTorrent clients available for that distro. See, for example,
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BitTorrent. I will be available to help
once the client software is installed. You tell me which client you select,
I'll install it on my workstation and we'll go through the steps necessary
to create a .torrent.

and cannot host the file[s] on my domain account

The ISO file won't be on your domain account. It will be on your
workstation. The .torrent file will be on your workstation and on the
tracker.

since it would be a repository and that is not in my contract.

Agreed. Not a problem.

I cannot even upload that size of file in any file extension.  I think
between 500Meg and 1GB is the limit per file size.

You won't be uploading it like that. The BitTorrent client will handle the
uploads instead. Your client software will allow you to adjust your upload
bandwidth so that you don't consume all your bandwidth in a short amount of
time.

You can even power down your workstation during the initial seed; downloads
in progress will resume when your workstation comes online. Once the file is
entirely distributed, the number of seeders will be > 1 (see above, seeders
vs. leechers).

Cheers,
jec