Thanks!  Oddly i hadn't considered exporting from Inkscape as a png.  I usually
try to open in Gimp directly and then "Save As .." png, gif & jpg to see which
gives me the best result for my aim for the image.  It's not a perfect approach
especially as Gimp only loads the image if i tell it what resolution i want.
Typically i try to guess the largest i can without making the machine grind to a
halt.  Too much guess-work, not enough finesse.

I am not used to Inkscape or any vector graphics at all and i need an excuse to
force myself into using it more so i get familiar with some basic stuff.

I'm in linux and this thread is the first time i found out that linux pixels are
a different size from Windows one!  I'm not sure i believe it but it would
explain a few oddities.

I haven't had chance to explore the idea about reducing bit-depth but i am
looking forward to exploring that.

Already a few people have asked how their logos look better on my company's
website than they look on their own website but i am not a skilled artist and
really don't know my way around these packages.  I just do what i can.

Many thanks and regards from
Tom :)