On 01/01/2011 09:29 AM, Stefan Weigel wrote:

What concrete benefit do we have from a big market share. What are
the disadvantages of less market share?

From http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/TDF/Next_Decade_Manifesto I
do not read any reason for competition or fighting for market share.

We are going to promote a concept (software freedom), a project (TDF) and a program (LibreOffice), and if we succeed we are going to grow the market share.

A larget market share brings in more users, more press, more supporters and ultimately more money to grow the project. So market share is very important, although we are not going to aim at market share.

In Italy, we have grown from 3% to over 20% of the office suite market without thinking at market share, but now that the market share is over 20% we have got ink on large dailies with articles bigger that the ones covering MS Office. And this is growing the market share even further.

Market share is a consequence and not an abjective.

--
Italo Vignoli - The Document Foundation
E-mail: italo.vignoli@documentfoundation.org