Le 2010-12-09 16:44, Andy Brown a écrit :
Hi Marc,

On Thu Dec 09 2010 12:33:39 GMT-0800 (PST) Marc Paré wrote:

Hi Andy, sounds great! IMO, we still need someone from the SC to chime
in on the discussion and give us the TDF opinion.

The TDF, IMO, should approve the distribution project but not any one or
group of distributors. The list should be to help possible users find a
supplier not promote one over another.

Yes, sorry, that is what I meant. :-)

Re: graphics ... I know that the design team is working on this, but
the logo is still a little way in coming. I don't believe that we will
have a new logo till next version. We will just have to use what is
there to start off with.

See Design list as I have made a query there on the 'Official' logo status.

Thanks.

In my mind, it would be great if we could all agree to the same page
format on our individual websites. This would provide a more familiar
site to returning users.

To be part of the message I am working on for the website list. My
thinking is a copy of the CSS files and build a framework that any
supplier site could use, with slight modifications.

Yes. That is a great idea.

I am not sure about the costs, I am a little worried that, especially
for the US, if we go on a big marketing push, that offering free
CD/DVD copies may be a little too expensive. I am in Canada so, maybe
a little less ... although, Novell sent 3 DVD copies of StarOffice to
every school in the province of Ontario. That would most have likely
been in the hundreds of copies, if I were to copy this with LO.

I would not just mail to a school. I would rather contact someone and
find out how many would be needed/used. I have a school that I sent 30
disk for them to use as lending disk from their computer labs. Another
time I mailed 20 disk to a club to give to computer students that were
taking a class.

I can only speak from the experience at my school where I teach. The 3 CD's were left in the Librarian's care. I promoted the use of the suite and it was most popular with the staff and some parents. The fact that Sun was promoting a help support line sold it. On the other hand, OOo was easily adopted by the students. From my point of view, it was still a success. But yes, always better to pre-qualify your disc distribution.

BTW, would you know in what packages (envelopes) you were sending
these out. We could work out these little details on the wiki too. Was
the postage cost the same or did you have to get the envelope weighed?
Was it in the general mail system or was it by parcel post or
registered mail? You could tell us of the process you went through to
mail out a CD/DVD copy.

I use 6.5 by 9.5 inch clasp envelopes that I pickup from an office
supply store. I use slim style cases, but others seem to use regular
CD/DVD sleeves, to hold the disk. When I started I would take the disk
to the local post office and have them weighted. Now I just put on the
stamps and mail them from home. When having them weighed the cost was
either 98 cents or $1.52, it depended on the clerk and how they saw the
package. Since I started mailing from home I put a 1.00 US stamp and
just mail them. I have not had any problems with returned for postage
yet so that is what I stick with. The disk are mailed through the US
Postal Service first class, the size and weight being close to that of
one of the fancy sound greeting cards that you see that plays music or
sound clip when opened.

For those that need more than one disk per address there are other
options depending on the quantity need.

All total it cost me less than $1.50 to burn, label, package and mail a
single disk. I use Imation disk that I buy in bulk when I catch them on
sale at the office supply store, $10.00 for 100 disk. The cases I get
from a discount store, $5.00 for 25 cases. The labels I get from
www.worldlabel.com, 100 sheets/200 labels for $12.95 + shipping, and
they have templates for OOo/LibO. The envelopes I do not remember right
off but $5.00 for 100 envelopes sounds about right. I keep only two or
three disk on hand ready to mail so that I do not have wasted disk if
there is a new version released. As an added service I drop _one_ email
to those that have ordered/reordered disk since the last major release.

HTH
Andy

Thanks for all of this.