Le 2010-10-26 18:02, Graham Lauder a écrit :
On Sunday 24 Oct 2010 02:11:52 Frank Esposito wrote:
I posted a question as to why choose MS Office over OO on hacker news
and although I only got 4 responses, they kind of match my own
experience with OO.
here is the discussion:

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1816102

Problems with adoption as far as I can ascertain are as follow: ...

* It does not match MS Office functionality exactly (this is what the
world uses, so to get people to adopt LO, they need to have what they
already need)
I agree with Anthony Papillion that Microsoft Office file format is the De Facto standard, at least in North America. People need to open Office 2003 and 2007/2010 files and save in one of these formats *without formatting errors*. For instance, I have customers who want modifiable documents, but have MsOffice on their computer because that's what the company provides them with. Likewise, many companies want resumes attached as a Word document. One won't succeed in getting a job by sending them a resume in odf or pdf formats, nor a odf document half-properly converted in Word?

* perfect the spellcheck system and advance grammar and formatting
control systems
Not sure why this, OOo is available in many more languages than MS and I'm
pretty sure LibO will be there soon as well, spell check works well as far as
I can see, grammar checkers are bad voodoo and are more often wrong than
right, however they can serve a purpose. ...

I really don't remember how well dictionary and grammar work in English in LibO, but I know how they work in French. Basically, dictionary is as good on LibO as it is in MsOffice (MsO), except for the fact autocorrection doesn't work as well with LibO. For instance, coeur (tr. "heart") should be written with letters oe stuck together: cœur. Word always correct properly; LibO do it only in select situations. Autocorrect doesn't work if the word begins a sentence (Coeur) nor if it is immediately followed by punctuation... and the word "coeur" (with separate letters) is identified as a typo. As for grammar, while not perfect, the grammar in MsOffice 2003 is quite good, whereas the grammar checker in LibO makes very elementary grammar mistakes.

On the plus side, in multilingual documents, it is much easier to use stylesheets and have the proper dictionary with LibO than MsO, and the tighter module integration means there are a few more formatting options in Calc and Impress than in Excel and Powerpoint.

--
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada) -- http://mgagnon.net